Monday, September 04, 2006

Doctor Who - The 666 story

The massive, horned Beast The episodes of Doctor Who that were screened on the weekends surrounding 6/6/06 concern the freeing of an ancient Beast from beyond the dawn of time.

The story, currently being broadcast in Australia, must have made many more people aware of the possible symbolism of the date than if it had been broadcast at another time. To achieve this would have required a considerable timespan of forward planning, and you have to wonder whether the writers and producers were simply timing for dramatic effenct and publicity or whether they may have been attempting to alert the populace to vigiliance of possible psychological manipulation of events emenating from that point in time.

I have to confess that I watched them fairly soon after they were broadcast. I won't say any more... it'll spoil the ending.

Anyway, while you're enjoying the conclusion to the two-parter on Saturday night, have a think about what I'm saying really.

PS Lovely bit of serendipity that the ABC is concluding the story two days before September 11.
PPS Sorry.. this is the last 666 I'll be doing for now. Just stressing a point.

1 Comments:

At 5:41 AM, Blogger carolynamelia said...

i don't who if you have noticed but 666 appears everywhere in doctor who.
I've only just started looking for them. I finished watching the latest series and thats what got me interested. eg. christmas episode, when doctor who is calling out passwords "666"; midnight, the boy shouts 666 for the copycat thing. they span all the way back to billie piper days.
Noticed 666 appears in torchwood too.
thought you might be interested, let me know what you think.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home